Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Drop-Off
Numerous materials used in the home, garage, and garden are considered household hazardous waste, or HHW for short (see below for a complete list). They can cause serious safety and health problems in transportation and for disposal facilities. These materials should not be placed in your trash. Instead, Lancaster County residents can bring these materials to LCSWMA’s HHW Facility for free.
Dauphin County residents should contact the Dauphin County Recycling Center regarding HHW collection and disposal.
Commercial haulers should dispose of hazardous, medical, universal and other miscellaneous recyclables at the appropriate receiving company. We DO NOT accept household hazardous waste from businesses. A reference list of markets is offered as a resource, but other markets may be available.
Plan Your Visit:
Before visiting LCSWMA’s HHW Facility, make sure you review the list of acceptable materials below to determine what is considered HHW versus trash. Additionally, here are some helpful resources to review:
- Resident Disposal Checklist
- Facility Locations & Hours
- Resident’s Guide to Recycling & Waste Disposal in Lancaster County
PLEASE NOTE: Customers must now unload their own vehicle. We DO NOT accept household hazardous waste from businesses.
Acceptable HHW Materials (we DO NOT accept from businesses):
- Automotive fluids, max. 5 gallons per container
- Batteries, like automotive and household (we DO NOT accept electric vehicle batteries)
- Chemistry sets
- Fire extinguishers
- Floor and furniture polish
- Fuel, like kerosene, gasoline, and propane
- Household chemicals, like pool treatments
- Household cleaners
- Lawn treatments, including herbicides and pesticides
- Mercury items, like ballasts, fluorescent bulbs, thermometers (limit 30 per month)
- Paint, rust inhibitors, stains, turpentine, thinners
Acceptable Electronic Waste (limit 10 items per customer, per day – we DO NOT accept from businesses):
- Desktop computers
- Computer accessories, like keyboard, mouse, printer, speakers
- Cameras, photo and video
- Cell phones and accessories, chargers, batteries, Bluetooth earpieces, air cards
- DVD and VCR players
- MP3 players and iPods
- Gaming consoles
- Stereos and accessories, including CD players, turntables, amplifiers, speakers w/o wooden material
WARNING: LCSWMA does not destroy data contained on electronic devices including computers. E-waste is processed by a third-party. Destroy all confidential or personal information on devices prior to drop-off.
Materials NOT Accepted (must be thrown away):
- Kitchen Electronics (microwaves, blenders, toasters)
- Small Appliances (window air conditioners, dehumidifiers, refrigerators)
- Household Tools (vacuum, iron, hair dryer)
- Lawn Care Tools (lawn mower, weed whacker, snow blower) NOTE: lithium-ion batteries from equipment are accepted at HHW
- Empty Paint Cans
- Empty Fuel Tanks
- Incandescent and LED Light Bulbs (they don’t contain mercury)
- Dismantled Computers
- Dismantled Televisions
- In-home Medical Waste
- Solar Panels and Associated Storage Batteries (DO NOT THROW AWAY) See Markets List for vendors that handle large quantities of hazardous waste or contact installer for disposal recommendations.
- Compressed Gas Cylinders (except propane tanks/cylinders up to 20 lbs. which are accepted at HHW) For disposal options for gas cylinders (DO NOT THROW AWAY) that are not accepted at the HHW facility (e.g., oxygen, acetylene, helium, CO2), please see Markets List